1. Brush it with a hat brush. Use a hat brush to remove dust and dirt from the surface of your hat. Gently brush the hat counterclockwise, starting at the front and working your way all around. Be sure to brush in the same direction consistently.
Purchase a hat brush in a hat store, or online.
2. Remove lint, hair, or dust. Buy a small lint roller or use a piece of tape to remove dust and debris from your hat. Wrap the tape around your hand, sticky side out, and gently sweep and dab across the surface of your hat. Replace the tape frequently to ensure that you remove as much as possible
3. Wipe with a cloth. Use a dry, clean cloth to brush dried dirt, dust, or debris off your hat. Dried dirt may flake off easily as you wipe it. For stubborn dust, wet the cloth so that it is moist, but not saturated, and wipe your hat.
4. Use an eraser or make up sponge. If you notice a stain on your felt hat, use a gum eraser or clean makeup sponge to remove it. Gently dab the stain (or smudge) to try to remove it. Alternatively, purchase a dry cleaning sponge from a hardware store (designed to absorb dust, dirt, and soot) to remove stains
5. Sprinkle corn starch on stains. If you notice a grease stain on your hat, sprinkle some corn starch directly onto it (approximately 0.5 tbsp - 0.25 oz). Rub it into the stain gently. After 5-10 minutes, brush it away to see if it has absorbed the stain
6. Brush with fabric stain remover. Use a cloth dampened with fabric stain remover to wipe stains. For a gentle stain remover, purchase Woolite fabric stain remover. After treating stains, rinse the cloth and re-wipe stains to remove stain remover from the hat